Saturday, July 17, 2010

Birthday Thoughts

I woke up this morning to the words of Moses in Psalm 90:12(NLT); "Teach us to realize the brevity of life, that we may grow in wisdom." This verse touches me in a deep way, and I want to share it with you all.

I am one of those people who often think & journal. At several points in my life I sit and evaluate my journey..where I have been, where I am now, who is in my life and what purposes they're there for. I do this because it keeps me sane, free of burdens and makes me continue life with a fresh vigor that only comes from a realization of purpose.

But on this birthday morning the verse hit me differently...more than purpose, it imparts an URGENCY. Yes urgency. The word brevity means shortness and conciseness. Verses 5,6 of Psalm 90 said "You sweep people away like dreams that disappear. They are like grass that springs up in the morning...it blooms and flourishes, but by evening it is dry and withered." In this new year starting today, I want every day to count positively in the direction that God desires. I am unable to change the length of my days, but it is certainly in my control to maximize every talent and resource that I am given.

In singing, I must ensure that I sing with all of my heart every time, and touch everyone listening with the message in the song and the passion in the delivery. In missions, I desire to reach the underserved of the society, with health care, the Good News of Jesus and with my wealth. Every day MUST count positively in those directions!

Friends, this urgency is what I pray to have all year long and henceforth. I echo wholeheartedly the words of Matthew Henry, "We must so number our days as to compare our work with them, and mind it accordingly with a double diligence, as those that have no time to trifle." I don't want to look back 25 years from now and wail at all the time I wasted; instead I want to see all God's talents and gifts in my life FULLY at work, and evident and ongoing positive change in my family, community and all the spheres of influence God places me in.


No comments:

Post a Comment